Our grand tour
This is less of a blog post and more of an announcement. My wife, dog, and I are moving to Europe for a year starting in October 2020!
This has been in the works for the better part of half a year, but I decided to finally post about it because we’ve officially booked our first non-refundable house rental.
We’re obviously extremely excited for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and I plan to write about it often both leading up to and during our adventure.
This is what our tentative itinerary looks like:
- Arrive in Munich Oct. 14, 2020. Spend a few days there (need to go to vet to get our dog an international pet passport)
- Make our way to Ljubljana. Spend around a month living in the no-car portion of the old downtown.
- Head back up to Vienna for the holidays.
- Leave for London just after new years. We can only spend 90 days out of every 180 in mainland Europe because of Schengen Visa rules. Spend around a month in London visiting family and friends.
- Jump across the sea to Ireland, perhaps stopping in Whales on the way. Spend ~2 months between the two.
- Come back to mainland Europe and make our way to Portugal. Spend April on the beach.
- Drive across Europe in our “Grand Tour.” We’ll probably stay south through Spain, France, and Italy, then head north through the alps and Amsterdam, eventually reaching the nordics.
- Spend June in the fjords of Norway
- Take a ferry over to Scottland. Spend the next 3 months there.
There are still a lot of details to work out. Bringing our dog especially adds a lot of complexity, but we’re up for the challenge.
I’m excited to share the inevitable ups and downs of this experience with you all! I’ll no doubt learn much about myself and life. Here’s to our Grand Tour!